Saturday, March 22, 2014

Rats and Dawgs

 
 
This week I took a trip to Athens, hovel – er, home – to the University of Georgia and their mascot, the Bulldogs. Better known to its fans as the Dawgs. Here in the Deep South, where I live, folks take the sport of pawball very seriously. So when I scurried my way into Sanford Stadium, I couldn’t help but feel I was scuttling onto holy ground.
 
I got to squeak hello to Uga, the live mascot. I gave him a muzzle nuzzle, and he responded with a slobbery lick! He was very pawspitable, especially when he chased away a few stray cats who were eyeing me as if I was made of ratnip. ’Tis never impressive to one’s guests when you end up the dinner of their enemy.
 
In fact, I have Uga to thank for my safe return back to Ratlanta. While I was visiting UGA, I came upon some other rats who thought I was a fan of their main rivals, Georgia Tech, considering I live in the same city Tech calls hovel. They looked like they were ready to feed me to those stray cats when Uga thankfully put his dogged paw down.
 
“Bob can’t be a Tech fan,” he barked to the rats. “He’s displaying our colors!” Sure enough, my black rubber fur and beady-red rat eyes do indeed match UGA’s colors. So thanks to one bullish bulldog who refused to back down for a guest, I stayed out of the dog-hovel.
 
That’s certainly enough for me to become a fan. Go Dawgs!
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment