Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi Day

 
 
Break out your forks and your fractions, your pastries and your protractors – it’s Pi Day!
 
Yes, Pi Day. Today, 3/14, at 1:59:26 a.m. and p.m., we crossed twice the threshold of pi, a number signified by the Greek symbol π that is equivalent to 3.1415926535897932 (etc.). It goes on forever! And so too, I think, should pie.
 
People worldwide celebrated the day with their favorite baked concoction. Some went for the savory with chicken pot pie; others preferred sweet, like cherry or peach. (The latter is definitely a favorite where I live in Ratlanta, Georgia, because Georgia is the Peach State!)
 
All those pies were all right, but their filling would be a good topping on my favorite pie, cheesecake. That’s right! Don’t you know? Cheesecake isn’t a cake, it’s pie. Custard pie, to be precise. (Just ask celebrity chef Alton Brown!) And a mighty fine custard at that.
   
So today, 3/14, at 1:59:26 (ad nauseam) a.m. and p.m., I pulled out my trusty custard pie and sunk my incisors right in. And I plan to do so again tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. Because while doing math repeatedly is downright pawful, I’ll ponder the perfection of π any day.
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment