Monday, September 5, 2011

Ratlaxation

 
Ah, Labor Day: a time when all of us rest from our work, maybe take in a barbeque or two, and celebrate the unofficial end of summer with a party by the pool. My employees and I at Sludge-Be-Gone, the best sewer-sucking company in Ratlanta, are too taking a restful day off today … which seems quite appropriate, as Tropical Storm Lee is dumping no small amount of rain on the city and flushing out our business. (Thankfully a recent dry spell saw a pickup in activity, and I was able to transfer my second job as line cook at a local Chinese restaurant to full-time dumpster cleaning in a new branch of Sludge-Be-Gone services. So from now on even when rain showers wash the sewers out for us, we’ll still be living high on the hog – no matter how flea-infested it may be!)
 
This Labor Day has been a family day for me, and earlier today my wife, Bobette, and I took our pups on a picnic outing to a local park. The little ones had a great time scampering about and playing “Who stole the cheese?” while Bobette and I contented ourselves with holding each other’s paws in a brief respite from our parental duties. (We were also thankful that the human family grilling hot dogs beside us wasn’t interested in adding rat meat to their menu.) Then about mid-day TS Lee decided to make his presence known in earnest, so hey – instant pool party! (It was a great pawportunity for me to practice my ratty paddle!)
 
We’re back all dry and toasty in our hovel now, having contented ourselves with all three Labor Day traditions – including the uber-important post-picnic rat nap (had to get that “rest” part in somewhere). And with Lee expected to dump more rain on Ratlanta over the next few days, I might very well decide to extend my holiday just a little bit longer, and continue that rat nap some more.
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment