Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Revenants of Rex


Ah, Halloween: that most haunted of holidays when we gather with one another to scare the fur off each other and bribe our little pups not to destroy our property by satiating them with sweets. We also come together to celebrate the arrival of autumn, carve jack-o-lanterns to ward off evil spirits, and host parties filled with frivolity and the wearing of costumes that draw out aspects of our personalities we would be ashamed to share any other time of year. (Thankfully I don’t need a costume on Halloween, and that’s good, because they don’t make many in my size.)

’Tis also a time for the sharing of ghost stories, the telling of tails (yes, I misspelled this on purpose) of the spirits who walk among us, wishing us harm or happiness, or having complete indifference. On the outskirts of my home in Ratlanta dwells a tiny town called Rex, whose history goes back more than a century-and-a-half. In Rex there stands an old one-lane bridge spanning a small creek, a dilapidated old grist mill, and several buildings in the heart of the town that are as old as the settlement itself. As the years have gone by a dam has been built just nigh of the bridge to tame the cascade of the creek, and a railroad track has been added about a stone’s throw from the old buildings. It is here that the Tail (also misspelled on purpose) of the Revenants of Rex begins.

My grandpaw lives close to Rex Mill, and loves to listen to the stories told of the town by the owner of the mill and his wife. In the spirit of the season, the mill’s owner recently imparted a tail (you guessed it, misspelled on purpose) so scary that it made Grandpaw’s whiskers stand on end. Apparently several revenants (which is another name for ghosts, phantasms, apparitions, and the like) haunt the little town of Rex; I present to you now three of their stories.

Although the dam is designed to reign in the rush of the creek, residents of past and present will tell you that during the torrential downpours that sometimes engulf Ratlanta the creek has been known to overflow it violently. Many years ago a mother and her child, caught up in one of these severe storms, were sadly drowned and are now said to haunt the bridge. On clear nights the residents claim that you can hear the child playing in the waters, while the mother gently calls his name to come home for supper.

In another tail (yep, misspelled on purpose), it is said that two suicide victims, having committed the acts that led to their demise within the town's borders, now roam the roads of Rex, and even, on occasion, appear in the yards of long-time residents. Ironic, it seems, that though their intent was to cut their lives short, they should ceaselessly walk the streets as the undead, forever trapped between this world and the next.

Finally there’s the tragic tail (misspelled on purpose, as you may have surmised) of a family killed while crossing the railroad tracks, who now traverse the trestles along the place of their passing. One can sometimes see their spirits slowly walking along the railway, only to vanish about a yard from the crossroads. On the anniversary of the accident it is said that a train whistle can be heard, even though no train approaches, as a phantom conductor warns future travelers to watch out for the train.

I hope I haven’t frightened your whiskers off – my grandpaw’s tails (have I misspelled it on purpose enough yet?) can be a little scary, even for creepy critters that crawl through the night like me. One thing is for sure, though: the things of which I am most afraid are the feral cats that live in the shadows of the mill!

Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

5 comments:

  1. EEK EEK BOB! Dem dar stories sound all too hauntingly familiar.... EEK!
    I used to wade in dem dar waters when I was a little girl, and so did my parents, and their's before, and their's before that, and so on, and so on... My father once told me dat Rex was named after a dog dat got rand over by the damed ole train... hmmm, sounds like good lyrics for a song. EEK
    Anyhow, I'll have to see if I can round up some info, old photos n such is dat fo ya... be in's dat I don't mind a rat so much dat keeps its wiskers clean. I'm not butta bout 2 miles from da bridge. EEK... I'm imagining getting photo of me n you together for memories sake.
    CHEESE N WHISKERS... you gonna be gettin all famous now! EEK EEK, you clever, clever Rat. I'll be on my way now to scurry up some vittles.
    You take car now, BOB, and watch fo dem risin' waters since it be rainin' now... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I'm too scared to sleep tonight. Things that go bump in the night make me shiver.Old timers tell also about the rat family that ate corn, got too close to the old wood burning stove in the Mill and exploded when the corn popped. Mercy me,Bob, be sure to stay away from hot stoves this winter.
    Velveeta to you,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squeak, Donna -- I mean wow! Did you or your ancestors ever come across any creepy revenants while wading in the clear waters of the brook? (That sounds fun to do on a hot day, by the way: I do prefer it when my rubber fur refrains from melting. I'll have to take a flat-rat -- er, skinny -- dip in the waters some time ... thankfully it won't be inappropriate, since I have no clothing but my fur to cover me in the first place.)

    My grandrat told me that the city was actually founded by a Mr. Estes, and named the town after his dog, Rex. Mr. Estes, having a degree in electrical engineering from Georgia Tech, was one of the first individuals to bring electricity to this area of Georgia ... now that's rat-tastic. I don’t know if Rex the dog ever fell victim to the train, but you’re right: it does sound like good lyrics to a song.

    I'd definitely be up for meeting and snapping a photo with you some time! Squeak me an e-mail at bobtherat1@gmail.com ... sounds rodent-tacious. And we'd love to any photos of Rex Village and the mill you have -- send 'em along!

    I hope your vittles were squeak-a-licious and consisted of mountains and mountains of cheese. I'm sure you cleaned your own whiskers afterward as well; after all, it is considered proper rat etiquette. Continue to keep it squeak, and thanks for becoming a follower of my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the warning, Gayle; I will indeed stay away from wooden stoves and eating corn lest I become Jiffy Pop myself. (Those are NOT good vittles.) Thanks for the Velveeta wishes, and thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, the city of Rex is in a battle with Clayton County, GA right now: the county wants to close the quaint, one-lane bridge which spans the creek and serves as the main artery-way into the city. Since Rex is so squeak-tacious, a number of us revenants -- er, residents -- and people who don't live in but do scuttle around and care about Rex are trying to fight it. Any of you can contact Paul Abraham, a business owner in Rex, chairman of the Historic Rex Village Association, and a personal friend of mine, for more information ... squeak me an e-mail at bobtherat1@gmail.com and I'll let you know how to get in touch with him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete