Sunday, September 7, 2014

Black and Red

 
 
Today in the Dutch city of Breda, thousands are wrapping up their ninth annual celebration of Redhead Days, an international three-day gathering of redheads. My human caretaker, the one who translates my rat squeaks into English for this blog, is all excited because, like less than five percent of the population worldwide, she has a copper top! Although she was not able to make a trip to Breda this year she dreams of going someday, and it’s all she’s been talking about for the last two weeks.
 
As the only redhead in her family, she says she feels lonely and wants to be in the company of people who look like her. I admit, I have a hard time identifying with her: black rats like me are very common, and I’ve never had trouble finding members of my species to mingle with.
 
To help her feel better, I decided to mark my own rat-tastic version of Redhead Days by undergoing a new fur-do. What do you think of it? I will squeak that my new strawberry locks have attracted a lot more rattention than my black fur ever did, confirming something I suspect my human has known her whole life: brunettes may get noticed, but redheads are never forgotten.
 
Ratty Redhead Days,
Bob
 
[Photo courtesy http://ratvarieties.com/type/silver-fawn/]

No comments:

Post a Comment