Saturday, May 11, 2013

Green Claw

 
Finally, a fine May weekend has come to Ratlanta, and my human family has taken the opportunity to plant their garden. They dug up the dandelions and exchanged them for cucumbers, traded tree roots for tomatoes and kicked out crabgrass for some basil. And because they dare to take on the sweltering summer sun, they laid down some spicy habanero and jalapeño peppers.

I love it when the garden comes into season. Not only does it signal no more frosts to freeze my tail off, it also means I don’t have to scuttle to the grocery store to get fresh produce. (I’ll take it out of a dumpster if I have to, but I do prefer food without the funk.) I was happy to lend a helping paw too. Taking a tip from my dirt-digging cousins, I made like a mole and scratched through the soil, holding the dirt aside with my tail so they could lay the plants in.

This year they put down a black weed barrier, hoping to keep out competition from undesirables. I just hope it doesn’t prevent the taking root of milkweed. Don’t you know? That’s where herb cheese comes from!

Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment