Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmouse

 
Merry Christmouse, everyone!
 
Ah yes, that most joyous of days has arrived, the one around which the entire kid year revolves … and to which we adults look forward with no less anticipation. No more cheesy holiday song spin-off TV and radio commercials (the malls can wait another year to be decked), and yes more fun, family, and food! Thankfully the Grinch didn’t visit our hovel this year, so we had plenty of crumbs that, though individually were too small for a mouse, added up to be a squeak-a-licious feast indeed.
 
This year I again went caroling with the Historic Rex Village Association (we had a rat-tastic time, just like last year), although this time I stayed out of sight. (For whatever reason some people are scared of rats. Go figure! But I felt it best not to frighten the carolers – or carolees – away.) I tried to get the human in whose pocket I was hiding to convince the others to sing a few rounds of “O Christmas Cheese” and “Santa Paws Is Coming to Town,” but there were no takers. I also pulled a bit of a prank on my family before Santa came: this year they got a few lumps of coal in their nestlets. (A few days ago I told them that Santa was making a list, checking it twice, and was gonna find out who was naughty or mice.) I think they figured out the joke, though, when they discovered that it was the instant-light briquette kind. (Still had a good squeak about it, though!)
 
Today being Sunday, my family and I also thought it important to attend service at our church and celebrate with others the true meaning of the season. The pups put on a wonderful play depicting the Christmas story spoken of in Luke 2:1-14 – with a bit of a rodent twist, of course. For one thing, we had wise mice instead of wise men, and the shepherds were herding flocks of hamsters rather than sheep. (At shearing time they harvest fleas instead of fleece, with great stocks of Flea-Be-Gone – and anti-itch cream in case those little buggers make a squeak for it.) We all scattered, though, when a couple of cats strolled in to leave presents of gold, frankincense, and purr!
 
Yes indeed I’ve had a very merry Christmouse, and hope you have as well. So in the words of my favorite Christmousetime carol,
 
I wish you a squeaky Christmouse,
I wish you a no-flea Christmouse,
I wish you a cheesy Christmouse,
And a ratty new year!
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment