Saturday, December 18, 2010

Santa Paws

 
’Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house
not a creature was stirring, except for a mouse.
The mouse was a-stirring, just checking to see
That all in the house were as snug as could be.
 
Her stirring awoke me from restful rat’s sleep,
So I crawled from my nestlet in darkness so deep,
Our hovel all quiet with stillness of night,
I rose to make sure everything was alright.
 
You might think it odd for a rat to give care
To a mouse ’round the house with chill in the air
So let me explain: it’s because she’s my wife;
She’s Bobette the mouse, and love of my life.
 
I heard her move ’round our hole in the wall
To make sure our kids were snug in a ball,
All crammed in a corner to keep themselves warm
Sheltered from cold of a winter’s snow storm.
 
Yes kids, I did say, for we have eight offspring
Four boys and four girls, but it’s quite a weird thing;
For you must know what happens when rats marry mice:
I’m sure you can guess it – we have baby rice!
 
I crawled to her side after having arose
Then nuzzled her muzzle with my little rat nose;
“Go on back to sleep,” I squeaked, “’til it’s day;
I’ll check to make sure everything is okay.”
 
So back to our burrow my wife she did creep
So silent she was, waking none from their sleep;
And I checked on our young, making sure they were snug,
As snug as a bug in a mug on the rug.
 
Satisfied with their safety, I too crept on back
For I was quite tired, wanting to hit the sack.
A little rat nap was what I did need,
For now I had done my fatherly deed.
 
But all of a sudden, I heard a strange noise
So I turned to make sure that it wasn’t my boys;
They like to get out, and much mischief make
And keep their rat father all up and awake.
 
My boys it was not; they were still in their ball
With four sisters there, eight rice all in all.
Realizing the date, I soon saw the cause
And knew in a flash it must be Santa Paws!
 
You humans, y’all have your tale of St. Nick,
But rodents, we’ve got a tail just as quick!
Santa Paws, he does come on the eve of Christmas
When all celebrate the birth of Jesus.
 
And presents he brings; we wish that he leaves
Some seeds, lots of fruits, and platters of cheese!
On Christmas in morn, with hope we awake
To see what’s been left … we hope not fruitcake.
 
Watching him there in the shadows I hid
For if he heard noise, he might think me a kid,
And all rodents know what Santa Paws does
If babes are around, he’ll stop – just because.
 
He wants us to know what presents we get
When Christmas dawn breaks; not before then, not yet.
But some kids can’t wait, some kids sneak around,
And sure enough mine were heard making sound.
 
I turned to the side and saw them all there;
Santa Paws saw them too, hiding by an old chair.
“Now, Harry! now, Larry! now, Barry and Jerry!
On Mary! on Kerry! on Sherry and Terry!
 
“I see you there staring with bright little eyes,
If you stay here you’ll ruin all of the surprise;
Away you should look, and turn your rice heads,
So off with you, now! Scoot back to your beds!”
 
I too snuck away, heading home to my nest,
To leave him alone; I thought it was best.
With Santa Paws’ views I also agreed,
For I too love surprises; they’re lovely indeed.
 
I nuzzled Bobette that cold eve in December,
But this night I just knew that I’d always remember.
And I heard him exclaim as he scuttled away,
“Ratty Christmas to all, and to all a good day!”
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

1 comment:

  1. Ratty Christmas to you and your family, Bob. This was a wonderful Christmas poem!

    ReplyDelete