Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Rat-Tastic Thanksgiving

 
Ah, the time of year has come upon us when we gather with family, give thanks for what we have, and guinea pig-out on turkey. (Oh, how glad I am that in American culture it is not customary to eat rat.) We come together and put our best faces on, grit our incisors when the mother-in-law makes snarky remarks, and pray that Uncle George doesn’t take the entire collection of Golf Magazine with him when he goes into the bathroom. Rats like me also hope that you put Fluffy the cat away, scuttle about covertly so as to not have our tails stepped on (ouch!), and wish that just one or two crumbs will fall onto the floor from the cheese platter Aunt Susan brought.
 
‘Tis also a time when there begins to appear a nip in the air, and I can feel my little rat nose freeze up. Given the status of the turkey, however, I’ll count my blessings! And I do have many blessings indeed. Let me share with you some of the things I am thankful for:
 
1. My human family, who loves me.
2. A toasty little hovel.
3. You, for being my friend.
4. That the people put Fluffy away.
5. The cheese platter Aunt Susan brought.
6. The fact that I’m not an edition of Golf Magazine right now.
7. My rat pals, Gus and Slim.
8. That Fluffy‘s away in the back.
9. They’re not having rat soufflé.
10. Fluffy’s not out and about.
11. My whiskers are squeaky-clean.
12. Fluffy’s where he can’t get me.
13. I can’t sniff Fluffy anywhere.
14. Fluffy’s not out on the prowl.
15. It’s the turkey they’re roasting, not me.
 
As Thanksgiving approaches, I hope you have a chance to gather with loved ones, eat ‘til you’re gut-busting full, and share with others in need. I also encourage you to make your own list of the things for which you are thankful; it’s best to put things in pawspective. And do please remember, as you chow down on bird, to thank God for the food on your plate; and please I implore you, despite what you’ve heard, keep the cat in the back – it’d be great!
 
Keepin’ it squeak,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment